Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 12: Zucchini Brownies

It's the final day of the baking challenge and I think I've gained 5 pounds!  :(

Seriously, I've been dying to try to use more zucchini in all sweet things, so here's my first attempt at zucchini brownies!  These were SO moist!  I thought that they would be more cakey from the reviews, but I feel like they were really fudgey (happiness for me).  The zucchini taste is more prevalent in these than even in zucchini bread, so take that into account if you attempt this recipe.  I LOVE zucchini, so I think they are delicious.  Are they my idea of the perfect brownie?  No, I can't say that.  But, as a Zucchini Brownie, they are absolutely fabulous! 


Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (adapted from Skinny Chef)

Ingredients:

5 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped & melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cups all-purpose flour or oat flour, plus 1 tablespoon for flouring the pan
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, (about 1 large zucchini)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 8×8-inch baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with the one tablespoon of flour. Shake the pan until the flour evenly coats the inside of the pan. Place chocolate in microwave (30 seconds to 1 minute) until melted. Cool slightly.

In a large bowl, mix together the oil, egg whites, sugar, vanilla and melted chocolate until well blended. Stir in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon. Fold in the zucchini and nuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25-45 minutes depending on your oven, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the pan (Mine took almost 45 minutes, but I'd start checking at 30 minutes). Cool completely in the pan and cut into squares. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.

Yields 12 brownies.  (Printable recipe)


No comments:

Post a Comment