Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 7 - Baked Oatmeal

Baked oatmeal is such a comfort food when it's cold outside!  I've never been a big oatmeal fan, but I ate some of this 7 or 8 years ago at a retreat with some friends and I was amazed at how delicious it was!  I tried for a year to get the recipe from the woman who made it, but she could never remember to send it to me.  After a thorough recipe search online and collaboration with my friend, Jeannie, I finally found the perfect baked oatmeal recipe!


My BIL and SIL are visiting from Oregon, so the kids and I served them breakfast in bed this morning with baked oatmeal and a glass of orange juice!  The time change is always hard for them, so I wanted to make sure that they had something worth waking up to eat.

This recipe usually calls for milk, but I substituted coconut milk and didn't notice a difference at all.  I wanted my hubby to be able to eat breakfast with us, but he's allergic to milk.  There's a ton of butter, but that doesn't seem to have as strong an impact as milk.  Typically, you add a little milk and fruit into this oatmeal when it's warm for a great way to start the day. . .

Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups milk (or coconut milk)
2 eggs
1 tbls. vanilla
2 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbls. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Cinnamon sugar for topping

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream brown sugar and butter together in medium bowl.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Add milk slowly.

Combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.  Add wet ingredients to dry in the large bowl.  Mix well.  Pour into 8x8 greased pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of the oatmeal. 

Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly firm to touch in the middle. 

Note - I always double this recipe for a 9x12 because it goes quickly!  This is a great recipe for Christmas morning because you can bake it the night before and just heat up individual bowls as everyone gets hungry!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried reducing the calories in this recipe by replacing part of the butter with applesauce and maybe one eggehite and one egg. Do you think that might take away from the recipe?

    We are having a breakfast at work this week. I normally make waffles, but wanted to try something different this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried that, but I know that coconut milk has significantly less calories than the whole milk that I typically use in baking and it tastes much better in this meal! This is really a dump dish, so I think the applesauce would work fine. Jean-Luc always splits the eggs like that for crepes, so I don't see how it would make a huge difference in a dish like this! Try it and let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete