Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 6: Three Chocolate Chip Cookies

I can't believe I haven't done a post about these cookies yet, but they are my second favorite cookie next to snickerdoodles!  First place for my favorite goes back and forth between the two depending on my mood and taste buds.  I've been making these cookies for a few years, but I actually didn't follow the recipe the first time I made them.  It was one of those serendipitous mistakes and I couldn't get enough of the cookies. 

They are very moist and cakey, so they appear fluffier than most chocolate chip cookies.  My friend Jeannie was with me at a cookie exchange when I first made them and it's begun an obsession with both of us for these cookies.  Her kids actually refer to the cookies as 'Ms. Sarah Cookies.'  It took my family only a year or so to realize the 'awsomeness' of these cookies, but I've finally got them all hooked!  ;)



This recipe is adapted from a Paula Deen recipe, but I originally forgot to add the white sugar that the recipe called for and I replaced the shortening with butter (I always do that since I'm not a fan of shortening), so I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Three Chocolate Cookies (adapted from Paula Deen's recipe)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
1 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or white whole wheat)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup dark, bittersweet chocolate morsels
1 cup Heath chocolate toffee bits (found with chocolate chips in baking isle)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets. 

With an electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.


In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate and Heath toffee bits. Drop cookies by 1/4 cupfuls about 3-inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Yields almost 3 dozen for me, but only 2 dozen if I make them really big.  

No comments:

Post a Comment