Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

I have to share this recipe!  I will eventually start sharing more entree recipes, but I must say that desserts are so much fun to make.  I'm really enjoying my attempt at making desserts and sweet breads a little more on the healthy side.  I've made this recipe 3 times in the last 2 weeks, so I hope that you enjoy them!  You'll find that I like muffins and cakes to have a very smooth texture, so I always finely ground nuts and oats to get a smooth, moist texture.  However, that's totally my preference and I'm sure they will taste wonderful if you change the recipe to suite your family's liking.  :)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins


Ingredients
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats (ground in food processor if desired)
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (also finely ground in food processor)
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt                                                                                                                                       1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
1. Combine oats and milk and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Stir egg, applesauce, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the walnuts into the oat and milk mixture.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oat mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Fill each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin 2/3 full.                                                                                              4. Combine remaining brown sugar and ground walnuts with cinnamon in small bowl.  Sprinkle tops with the remaining brown sugar and pecans.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. 
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.com.

1 comment: