Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I've been wanting to make this chocolate zucchini cake for a very long time, so I signed up to make 3 people meals this week (2 for new babies and one who is in the hospital) and decided this was the time to try a new recipe.  It just so happened that I had lots of zucchini in my refrigerator, so all of the stars aligned for me to make this recipe.  I've slightly adapted the recipe from a great recipe blog, www.simplyrecipes.com


Well, I can tell you that this recipe is absolutely delicious!  The texture of the cake is so light, but it has subtle hints of cinnamon and orange zest!  I've made it twice this week if that is any clue as to how popular this cake is at my house! I've made a few adjustments that make this a downright "healthy" chocolate cake by substituting applesauce for all of the butter and decreasing the original amount of sugar.  You can choose to follow the original recipe if you prefer, but below you'll find my version! 

Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe (adapted from Simply Recipes)

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
    1/2 cup cocoa
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons grated orange peel
    2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (pulsed in a food processor)
    Glaze (directions follow)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.

1. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.

2. With a mixer, beat together the applesauce and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the applesauce and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini.

3. Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture, including the nuts with the last addition.

4 Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes (test at 45 minutes!) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.

5. Drizzle glaze over cake.

Glaze:  Mix together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth.

Cut in thin slices to serve. Makes 10-12 servings.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! I usually make a 'healthier' zucchini bread with applesauce, less sugar and half whole wheat flour. I will definitely have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snagged a little taste at Lauren's and was in cake heaven!!I'm just going to say that this kicks some MAJOR cake butt and as soon as I get some zucchini harvested, I'm making this!
    Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete