Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Week 48: Steamed Artichokes!

Oh, how I love steamed artichokes!  I don't think I ever ate a steamed artichoke before I met my husband. Seriously. . . he served artichokes to me for the first time at a dinner where I met his dad.  I was 'schooled' on proper eating techniques by my husband, his dad and his younger brother!  As a bit of background, my FIL is from France, so many of the family traditions my husband grew up with are based on his father's French heritage.  So, they love artichokes and there is a very specific way that they eat them.  The Nicolet's always eat them with vinaigrette (rather than butter as some prefer), a community plate for the eaten leaves and then they perfectly chip away the choke with a knife and then chop up bite-sized pieces of the heart and sink them into the vinaigrette! The heart is the best part!  Last night, my hubby got a 30-minute phone call just as I was just about to put the heart in the vinaigrette, so I got to eat it all to myself!  ;)



If you've never tried to cook artichokes at home, I beg you to try them!  They take awhile to steam, so we usually eat them as an appetizer or dessert!  Here's a link with more detail about how to properly eat an artichoke.

Weekly Menu #48

Sunday - Ground beef tacos, black beans, white rice, steamed artichokes
Monday - Sirloin pork roast, steamed broccoli, leftover rice
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Out to dinner
Thursday - Grilled salmon, roasted sweet potatoes and potatoes, grilled asparagus
Friday - Red Sauce with ground beef, zucchini noodles, angle hair pasta, steamed green beans
Saturday - Mahi-Mahi, roasted cauliflower and carrots, yellow rice

Happy Cooking to all of you!  Hope to see some menus this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment