Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 10 - Mexican on the Brain

So, I got this great new cookbook for Christmas called 1,000 Mexican Recipes by Marge Poore!  I've been begging for this cookbook since I borrowed it from my friend, Jeannie, before she moved to Colorado this summer.  Now that I have it, I'm obsessed with cooking Mexican food!  New sauces, new ingredients and so far everything has been super-yummy!  I wish I'd taken a picture of the tacos I ate for lunch today, but I'll do my best to describe them to you.  I grilled up some shrimp with homemade cajun seasoning, fresh pico de gallo and this avocado tomatillo salsa.  That's it.  Nothing fancy, but I had the tomatillo salsa sitting in my fridge just dying to be eaten!  Truly delicious and I might be eating shrimp tacos again tomorrow since the kids are sick anyway I really need to treat myself.  ;)

It was Emilie's un-birthday in school this week, so these are the cupcakes we made for her special day.  She insisted on having princess rings in the cupcakes, but I told her that Mommy couldn't get rings, so we came up with flags.  So, we did princess for the girls and Toy Story for the boys!  It was perfect!  

It's been a bad week for illness in our house.  Poor little Zachary (my 2-year-old) came down with pneumonia and my oldest (7-year Annabelle) came down with strep throat again!  She says her ears are hurting too, so we'll see what the doctor says for both of them tomorrow.  However, it's all not so bad when I get to eat shrimp tacos!

So, here's my best shot at a menu for this week.  It has been regularly changing for me as I explore new recipes in my new Mexican cookbook and my new French Ina Garten cookbook. 

Sunday - Fajita burgers, roasted mixed veggies and green beans
Monday - Sirloin steak with tomatoes, peppers and onions, white rice, black beans
Tuesday -Whole chicken cooked in Mole sauce, peas and leftover rice
Wednesday -Grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, carrots
Thursday - Spaghetti with meat sauce, roasted squash, broccoli
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday - Spicy thai-style shrimp with mixed veggies and white rice

I'm not sure if the comment thing is working yet, so could at least one of you leave a comment this week?  ;)

You are what you eat, so it better be good! 

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Not sure why the comments aren't posting. Jeannie said she tried. Can a few of you try as well?

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete